Saturday, August 22, 2009

Experimenting with Tribal Makeup

I finally added a profile photo, a larger version is shown above. After a productive trip to Target (pronounced Tar·zhay for the uninitiated) I played around with some makeup ideas to use for the performance. I still need to work on what to do with my hair. I'm not skilled in that department at all.

I picked up some brown kohl in the HIP line made by L'Oreal which came in a lovely little bottle reminiscent of a perfume vial. I've used kohl before, but I just recently learned to apply it in the Middle Eastern fashion and although it was awkward, the first time it worked perfectly and got the look I've been striving for with liquid and pencil eyeliners for some time. It rims the inner eye, including the waterlines, perfectly and stays there. The only issue I've had so far — and I've been wearing it for hours while sweating in a hot apartment — is that some of it tends to gather near the tearduct and when I tried to wipe the excess off the lining tended to come off with it. It was expensive for such a little bottle (even the cashier commented on the price), but I'm tempted to buy more in different colors because I adore how it looks. I also picked up some ColorStay Overtime lipstick by Revlon in Relentless Raisin which really lives up to its title. It consists of a color stain and a clear, moisturizing topcoat that can re re-applied as desired to make it look more like a lip gloss. The topcoat wears off fairly quickly but the stain won't budge. You obviously cannot tell in the photo but in addition to the kohl I used some earthy, shimmery colors from my Shimmer Cube palette made by The Body Shop applied with Ecotools brushes on the lid and out from the edges of my eye. I really had to compensate with my brows with an eyebrow pencil so they weren't visually washed out by my eyes. I added some small faux facial tattoos near my eyes with liquid eyeliner and wore my Big Ass Bindi for the first time too. I think this was more makeup than I ever worn in my lifetime, except perhaps for Halloween.