Sunday, August 16, 2009

Adventures in Belt-Making

The costume components for our upcoming performance include: banjara choli halter top (aka the Hipno-Halter), black 10 yard skirt, long fringe, pantaloons, "bits belt," and of course various accessories. What has been termed the "bits belt" is essentially a basic, long rectangle embellished with shisha mirrorwork, some traditional Tribal jewelry, and/or other odds and ends. All but one of the components I either own or have arranged to borrow. The piece I lack is an appropriate belt which of course is one of the most fundamental items in a good tribal costume.

I looked at buying or borrowing a suitable one from the studio, but most of the belt bases available are much too short and yet two of them linked together end up being too long. I've always wanted a two panel belt so I figure now would be a good time to try to make one. The vision in my head was of a dual piece belt which secures on either side by long ties looped through metal rings — something like this awesome belt worn by Molly Mitchell or Sara Beaman's belt although I'm sure mine won't be quite the degree of awesome as either of those examples.

The first thing I obtained was some mirror trim to serve as the central focal point, and I was lucky enough to scavenge some scraps of nicely coordinating fabric from the "free stuff" bin at the studio. Then it was off to the fabric store to find a sturdy base fabric and some large O rings. I found some fabric that works well and picks up on the peculiar golden color of the fringe belt I'll be wearing beneath it, but I had no luck finding O rings with a large enough diameter (there were plenty of D rings though, but even they were on the smaller side). I had to venture to the Tandy Leather Factory in Allentown to find the O rings I wanted, and find them I did: hefty, solid, 3" diameter rings that are practically bangles.

My mom was kind enough to assist me with the basic machine sewing as I have no machine currently, and even if I did, sewing a straight line is something of a challenge for me (actually drawing a straight line without a ruler or triangle is a challenge for me which is why you'll notice I really don't do much drawing involving architecture!). We discussed the pattern and the first step in actually making the belt involved me hemming the edges of the mirror trim by hand, and that certainly won't be the end of the handiwork on this belt despite having access to a machine. We were able to get the basic skeleton sewn together on the machine and now I'm working on sewing some Turkman buttons near the upper and lower borders. The use of a curved needle helps but they are still a pain in the ass to securely sew to the base, but I think it will be worth it in the end. The Faire is less than a month away, so I hope I can finish it by then!

No comments: